Ten Myths on Weight Loss
Epidemic of obesity : As per WHO, worldwide obesity has more than doubled since 1980. Today 39% of adults are overweight, defined as having BMI more than 25*. Wealthy countries like USA have more than 1/3rd adults in Obese category , defined as BMI more than 30. See chart below Please refer to chart at end of article to find out your BMI
Higher BMI is the cause of many a life style diseases like cardiovascular diseases (mainly heart disease and stroke), diabetes, and even some cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon). Equally worse are the “quick fix solutions” ,marketed by the weight loss industry which promise effortless weight loss, . Understanding the ten myths on weight loss will help in embarking on journey for a healthy weight loss , without causing long term damages.
1. The weight loss goals must be achieved in a short time.
A. Usually weight gain would have happened gradually , steadily over 10-20-25 years period since adolescence
Gradual process of weight gain
- Logically weight reduction should be also gradual Losing 1 to 2 kg per month is a realistic healthy goal , by right combination of “exercises”, “sensible eating ” and making other life style changes, that have contributed to the weight gain.
- Pick up physical activities that you enjoy, such as cycling, running, swimming dancing, etc in your journey towards healthy living !
- Sudden weight loss, is like crash landing a heavy aircraft , with repercussions on your long term health!
- That “Doing exercises” is futile option for achieving weight loss.
- It is true that doing exercises does not reduce weight as quickly as strict dieting.
- An ideal exercise plan will have three dimensions; 3S-Strength/Stamina/Stretching
- Strengthening of muscles/bones (For example weight training, using body as weight for traditional exercises )
- Endurance Stamina for heart/lungs (For example activities like sports, jogging, swimming, cycling, etc)
- Stretching for well toned body(For example Yoga, aerobics, dancing) etc
- A well planned , regularly executed exercise plan will strengthen body’s frame, internal organs and slowly bring down weight without causing harm
- Even though weight loss may not immediately result due exercises, the body would have started to shed fat, and begun to strengthen muscles, bones , slowly raising BMR (Basal Metabolic rate ) , the rate at which body consumes calories . Stronger muscles in legs, hands, back, stomach, as result of exercise, will raise BMR if you persist with exercise routine.
- That Strict dieting ( for example severe fasting, skipping one/two meals, or skipping breakfast) is necessary to reduce weight in short time
- Strict dieting does result in quick weight loss but then a bout of flue can also do that with similar after effects. ie weak body. Such weight is gained as quickly as you given up the diet.
- Reducing weight in such a unhealthy way is not desirable, if loss of weight comes at expense of muscle mass . Loss of muscles, will pose serious health issues in future.
- Dieting generally means denial of food when you are hungry. Such repeated denials will have adverse effects on your mood, ability to perform normal work , mental alertness , and ability to sleep normally.
- Eat sensible , eat right, to ensure you get all nutrition preferably in their natural form
- Avoid calorie intense” foods( like fried, oily snacks, sweets made from milk fat, alcohol)
- Avoid foods with high GI values (made from refined carbs), choosing lazy carbohydrates
- Avoid severe fasting that can lead to weak lever, mood swings, depression, weak bones, and more infections.
- Strict dieting cannot be practically continued over a long time.
- Eat with awareness ; Take time to eat, Chew food for longer , which will limit its intake
- That you can shed fat selectively from certain body parts (like waist, stomach, biceps, thighs) by wearing tight belts or by doing special exercises.
- Remember that the main organ by which body reduces weight is through lungs/skin ; when heart pumps blood at faster rate, lungs take in more oxygen and breath out more Carbon Di Oxide (CO2), along with loss of water from skin as perspiration. More than 80 per cent of body fat leaves the body through exhaling, making the lungs the primary organ through which we lose weight, through oxidation.
- There are several types of fats in body like Abdominal fat, Visceral fat, subcutaneous fat, brown fat, and white fat . Body has its own logical order for burning fats from various body parts.
- Like accounting method LIFO(Last in, first out) , the stored fat will be first taken from lever, and then from other parts of body. It is likely that fat from face, will be shed before the fat from abdomen, waist and hips may be the last one to be shed.
- Focus more on exercises for bigger muscles like legs (for example kick boxing, outdoor cycling, running, fast walking , climbing up stairs) for faster results
- That Diet fads (like Vegetarian only, no to all dairy products ie Vegan, No oil, No meat or No poultry, Salads only, Atkin’s diet, Having smoothies , having only two meals in a day , etc) are necessary for achieving weight loss
- Obsessive diet fads cannot last long as they are difficult to maintain in life
- Human body need over forty ingredients, (ten amino acids derived from proteins, fifteen vitamins, fourteen minerals, Carbohydrates and EFA ie Essential Fatty Acids) There is interplay between these ingredients like in an musical orchestra, so that food is assimilated into body. Having only one ingredient in excess, does not satisfy body’s complex nutritional needs, resulting in malnutrition.
- Your body is accustomed to your dietary habits acquired from our ancestors over generations . We need diverse ingredients of food for getting proper nutrition. Sudden changes in diet is like a shock to body.
- Vegetarian diet lacks certain vitamins (like B12) and is usually deficient in complete proteins, iron as well
- Say no to any extreme diet fads to achieve weight loss. Eat sensible instead.
- That Weight loss clinics, massage,Sauna, steam bath help in reducing weight.
- The weight loss achieved by weight loss clinics that massage or use steam/sauna baths is purely due to loss of water, causing dehydration.
- Weight loss due to loss of water from body is deceptive. Body will quickly gain weight as loss of water is compensated
- It is important that weight loss should be accompanied with loss of % fat in body.
- If weight loss happens as a result of loss of muscle mass, then it is hazardous for your long term health.
- That Doing only Pranayamas, (Kapal Bhati like heavy breathing )or HathaYoga can result in weight loss
- Doing Pranayama would not be possible without strong lungs, heart. Pranayama is possible only after physical Yoga Asanas.
- Traditional HathYoga will address mainly “Stretching” part, unless more intense Yogic practices are consciously adopted, like quicker and more number of rounds of Surya Namaskars, using body weight for dips, etc
- The 3S exercise trinity, Strength, Stamina and Stretching should never be forgotten.
- Practicing Hatha Yoga will slowly bring down weight.On a positive side, Yoga will first restore balance of mind , improve quality of sleep, reduce cravings, thus addressing the psychological cause of weight gain
- That Taking pills/powders/juices that suppress hunger and replacing normal food with supplements like herbal powders/protein shakes /vitamin pills /smoothies in artificial form will provide all necessary nutrition, for achieving weight loss quickly.
- Body absorbs nutrients along with food fibre/roughage thru food’s journey in small intestine in a gradual way
- Sans fiber, the vitamin/protein pills, or herbal (like)powders will not be properly assimilated and most likely to be excreted by body.
- Food supplements can only perhaps compliment a good diet plan ; the supplements can never be thought as replacement for normal food
- That You must join a Gym if you want to reduce weight
- Body is an intelligent machine, which quickly discovers the most efficient way to burn calories, conserving its energy , while doing repetitive motions on Gym equipment like on Cardio, or cross trainer or other machines
- In addition, gym users get bored while doing monotonous activities indoor in
- It is also observed that over training with Gym machines leads to injuries like muscle tear, muscle pull, stress fractures, and cramps , etc due to over strain in one particular part of body.
- Find a exercise buddy or group with whom you can engage in outdoor activities regularly .If weather permits, then choose outdoor exercises( like running, cycling)such “Outdoors Gym” is fun activity for the mind as well . Playing any competitive sport is also an enjoyable way to achieve weight loss.
- MBBS doctors are the best guides for seeking advice on diet, nutrition,
- If you want good advice on diet, nutrition, please consult a Ph. D (dietician) instead of a MBBS /allopathic doctor.
- MBBS doctors have little formal education on healthy diet and nutritional needs of body.
Pankaj Narayan Pandit is founder,trustee of SLK Foundation , a charitable trust for nature friendly wellness solutions www.slkfoundation.in email email@example.com